According to part 1, section 5 of LASIEC Law No. 15 of 2001 which was published in the Lagos state of Nigeria official Gazette No.40 Vol. 34 of 22nd November, 2001, the functions of the commission include:-
- To Organize, Undertake and supervise all elections to Local Government council within the state
- To render such advice as it may consider necessary to the Independent National Electoral Commission on the compilation of the register of Voters;
- To provide guideline to political parties stipulating the rules and procedures for the electioneering campaigns for Local Government Election.
- To assign Poll clerks and orderlies in respect of each polling station or unit to assist at the taking of the poll;
- Carry out such other function as may be conferred on it by law